Thursday, February 25, 2010

Knock, knock!

me: u up?
Chiligrrl: yup
chatting with ramon
me: wha!!!!!11
ooo
i don't know ramon
does he like noodles?
hehheh
Chiligrrl: yes you do
ramon from cbs
me: ARGH!
i TOTALLY KNOW ramon!
he's so flamboyant
tell him i say HI!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
i'm slightyly tispy
Chiligrrl: where did u go with your friend?
me: landmarc
i suspect he might be gay
jury is STILL out
Chiligrrl: justin? i can't keep up
is he cute?
me: no justin is the british dude who didn't make reservations and i haven't talked to him since
i didn't even say thanks
he's cute
Chiligrrl: but gay
me: yah
Chiligrrl: well if he's in the closet, he's straight for now
me: heh
ok.............
so
someones knocking!
i don't have pants on!!!!
what if it's my dad!?
Sent at 12:22 AM on Thursday

Chili
grrl: hi dad!
Sent at 12:26 AM on Thursday

Chili
grrl: u disappeared
is dad still there?
Sent at 12:52 AM on Thursday

Sorry Chiligrrl, but basically the voice from the other side calls out to say I just left my keys in the lock. So typical. So not my dad. I rush to find some pants and put them on, and then I open the door to retrieve my keys. The good samaritan is standing in the doorway to my neighbor's apartment and waves. As it turns out, he's this contractor named "Twinkle Toes" (NO joke) straight from San Francisco (he's real - he's from Minna Street) and he's redoing the apt next door which I already knew about because there's always dust in my walkway. I thought that maybe the people next door had bought this adjacent apt and were connecting them, but he tells me that the owner of the apartment....died!

Ok so here's the deal. This owner, who I have met about twice, was this strange lady who worked for the UN and was some sort of neurologist/psychiatrist/entymologist who I had diagnosed with a slight case of asperger's. Very interesting, but very hard to get out of a conversation with. She wore a huge black floppy wide brimmed hat and used to come in all hours of the night. I know this because I come in all hours of the night. I could smell her perfume from the elevators...which were about 500 yards away. Her son lived in the apartment underneath me, with his wife and two very young kids. Now before you go "H-H-H-WHAT, what kind of high-rise mansion do you live in you richass bitch and why isn't yo stingy ass bringing me on your vacations to Seychelles?" note that A) I have not gone to Seychelles yet and B) I actually live in a barely 1-bedroom, and what they did was build a wall in their living room for their two kids to share. Cramped-sounding, right? Right! Which is why I always assumed that if she were to leave her apartment, her son would take it and move his family up there, right? Wrong!

Fully pantsed, I stepped out of my apartment to retrieve my keys and see Twinkle Toes. Ever curious about the work that was being done next door, I ask if I can come by. As it turns out, the new owner is some sort of business media mogul who's got two young kids and had bought the apartment after my neighbor died. I felt really bad about hearing that - I mean it's true that I hadn't seen her in months, but ever the optimist, I guess I just thought she had decided to retire and sip on mojitos in Florida and that our other neighbors were going to expand in her space since for a little while I had seen the 22E-ers going in and out of that apartment. But the second reason I felt bad was that my dreams to buy that apartment next door and convert my limited 1BR into a sprawling 3-bedroom castle-in-the-sky were now dashed. Er...am I evil? (Note, I came up with this idea way before Liz Lemon decided to build her yuppy duplex)

I spent the next hour talking to Twinkle Toes (seriously, he called himself that twice and like I said, he lived in SOMA, NOT the Castro as one would more likely think!!) and having him show me the improvements. They really weren't doing that much, just a new paint and flooring job and some new cabinetry, but it was fun nonetheless. Maybe in five years when this family outgrows its space, I'll convince them to expand into my space, pink walls and all, for an exorbitant price and maybe then, you will be sipping mai-tais with me in Fuji...

No comments: